The business we know today as Allston Supply Co., Inc. evolved from Odorite Sanitation Service that was started in 1945 by Albert Cohen, and operated out of the basement of his Springfield, Massachusetts home for several years.
In 1949, Archie J. Shapiro, Cohen's Brother-In-Law, entered the business. A small garage was constructed on Allston Ave. in West Springfield, Massachusetts, in which Cohen and Shapiro set up an office and warehouse. In an effort to expand, they decided to stock and sell a variety of cleaning supplies and paper products.
The sanitation service was sold in 1951, and Allston Supply Company became a Janitorial Supply business exclusively.
The second move to Franklin and Cass streets in Springfield allowed space for a showroom and a larger warehouse. In 1956, the company was Incorporated in Massachusetts.
The third move to the Liberty Theater Building on Liberty Street in Springfield was made in 1963. Several employees and new departments were added. Allston's marketing area expanded to include New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut.
Allston moved to its present location on Main Street in Springfield's North End in 1978. Since that time, the company has grown to be one of the largest Janitorial Supply firms in the Northeast, with over 30 employees, and significant market penetration in New England.
Allston is now owned and operated by Albert Cohen's son, Roger Cohen. Who took control of the company in December of 1991. Roger has been employed at Allston since June 1977 Today Roger is President & Treasurer. In addition, Roger's son Keith has also joined the Allston team making Allston Supply a third-generation family owned business.
Allston Supply Co., Inc. looks to the future with the motto "Providing Sustainable Solutions", and a Mission to help our Customer Partners achieve cleaner, safer, and healthier work environments.